Search This Blog

Thursday 14 February 2013

Making a kid happy takes little effort....

My eldest son just turned 8 but is a bit of a talker like me.... ok well and his dad....

But these days money is a bit scarce so I try to stay away from spending on unnecessary things and at this stage birthday parties can wait... So on his birthday, I explained there is just no money to buy anything and also, his brother's birthday was just a month ago and he didn't have anything either. I could see he was still hoping for a miracle but left it at that. So off to school he went... without party packets or cake for the class... :-(

And then at work I had to work late so I was going to get home about 2 hours later than usual. But just before I left work, I phoned home and he answered the phone. I took the opportunity to explain why he can’t have a party or gift at this stage but that I will do my best to have a braai at the end of the month. And he asked very excitedly “Tonight, mommy?” and I said, no at the end of the month when I get paid…..

The child nearly had me in tears when he very sadly replied: “So I’m only gonna have a normal birthday this year………?” I could HEAR the tears in his voice and just had to make a plan.

So I phoned a friend who could get me after work and take me to the shop to just buy at least 2 cakes so that he somehow feels it is a birthday.

Got home and he wasn’t there as he and his brother had supper at my cousin whose birthday is on the same day. So we set up a small table with the cake, chips and cooldrink and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY banner. Then I went out and when he saw me, he came running to me and asked if I bought a cake. I told him I just could not come right anywhere but next time I’ll make a plan. He looked so sad but most of his friends and some family kids were playing outside and I showed them behind his back to go to the house.

He was so upset; he didn’t even notice them entering the house as I slowly walked to the door with him…. So as we got to the door, my mom with the kids started singing for him and when he looked up and saw the table with the goodies he was so surprised! The look on his face was priceless!!

It took so little to make him happy and just shows again that a kid (who still behaves like one!) does not need much to feel loved!

I just hope all parents realise that you do not need to load your kid(s) with gifts to keep them happy. Shower them with love and give them the attention they deserve and you will be rewarded!

No comments:

Post a Comment