Search This Blog

Friday 7 August 2015

The things we teach our kids...


Every day I pray that my kids grow up to be adults any parent can be proud of. I therefore do my best to instill good values and teach them manners. So to see other children disrespecting another grown-up, it really gets to me. I don’t want to judge but will share this…

In the train this morning (07/08/2015) there was a teenage girl (scholar) who acted rude and kind of vulgar. I didn’t listen to the stuff she was saying but the way she acted couldn’t be overlooked. And her backpack was practically in the face of the woman sitting behind her the whole time without her taking it off or apologizing for it.

Then another grown-up lady decided to give her opinion about this girl and told her that she’s being disrespectful as the things she says about others were demeaning.

And of course… she reacts in the rude way one could probably expect telling this lady for her to show respect people should earn it and that she wasn’t talking to her etc. It didn’t take long for most of the commuters on that side to add their bits causing quite a commotion in the carriage….

Anyway… It then turns out both the girl’s parents were in the train and condoned her behavior… yes, I get any parent will support his/her kid but the way in which they did it was just upsetting…

The dad started yelling from the other side to this woman that she must shut up etc.

Then another lady (black) stood up… pointed out that it doesn’t matter who you speak to… if it is not done with some respect, it shows how you are raised. That one should remember when getting into a public train and make comments, people will react.

What got me most, however, was the dad’s response when the girl at one point moved over to where he was standing… he told the girl very loud and clear

“You don’t have to show respect to anyone!”

What kind of generation are we raising if that is what they are being taught?? I know that most parents don’t raise their kids like that… but my kids may come into contact with others who are raised like that…

And I hope that I do enough to ensure that mine will remember the lessons taught at home and take it with them wherever they may go in life…

I remember one thing my gran taught me very clearly: "Shalla, you don't raise your kids for yourself". Today I again realized the truth of that statement and will work even harder to raise kids who are more beautiful on the inside... where it matters.

Have a wonderful weekend people!

See you again... and more often too! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment